Friday, January 6, 2012

I have good intentions...

Yes. It appears to be the case. Another Christmas has come and gone without me actually SENDING my cards. I did write the letter! I even printed it on paper and picked the picture and uploaded it for order. Unfortunately, I am lacking in follow-thru a great deal. So, the letter is to follow. Maybe next year...

Dear Family and Friends,

Can we just start with a great big “WOW”?! OK…so it’s been a couple years. I stand remiss at my Christmas card neglect and am back with a self-proclaimed vengeance. Brevity is not my forte, but I will do my best.

The last couple years have been tumultuous at best, but the past is mostly the past. On to bigger, brighter, happier things! Langdon and I were married in August. It was a semi-impromptu event with near-by family and friends…and couldn’t have been more perfect. There was a lot that led up to that moment, but ultimately it was just the beginning of the story we are writing one chapter at a time. Langdon moved to Surprise and we are just enjoying our new life together…figuring out details and enjoying being together. It’s been a wonderful thing for both of us to find a true partner and companion in life.

Langdon was working in Tucson, but got a job in the valley shortly after we married. He actually is now working at the same hospital I am which has been great in many ways. I finally finished nursing school in March and was fortunate enough to have a job offer prior to graduation. I am working and was able to get a job on a Progressive Care Unit and a cardiac floor as an RN at Banner Thunderbird Hospital and mostly love it. I love meeting the patients and feel blessed that I was able to get into this line of work. I also coached diving again this year and, again, am professing my retirement! We will see how that plays out in July.

The kids are all doing great and adjusting well. Garrett is 15 and has his driving permit. He dabbled in Cross Country at school and is now on the wrestling team. I think more than any of them he enjoys the role of “kid” again since Langdon came into the picture. Cole is 14 and a freshman in high school. He has discovered his love for horses and increased his love for all animals. He has changed so much this last year and has really started to come into his own. Blake is 11 and not shy about voicing his imminent 12th birthday. He is playing tackle football this year and loving that. I don’t love it quite as much. He is doing great in school and definitely has a knack for sarcasm and wit. Ethan is 9 and just such a joy to have around. He is incredibly athletic and not happy that I won’t allow him yet to play tackle football due to his size. He has a crazy pension for Beyblades and just the best smile with those great big boy teeth! Wade is 7 and has grown so much this last year. He is doing well in school and working hard at becoming the “youngest” boy instead of the “baby”. He’s accepting his new responsibilities and yet is still Mom’s “baby”. He still loves to sit and cuddle and talk about his day. His insight can be surprising.

Langdon has 4 kids of his own that we added to the already existing chaos. His oldest is Cami who is 15 and a sophomore in high school. Then there’s Logan who has also moved to Surprise and lives with us. He is 13 and in 8th grade. He has an incredible vocabulary and uses it constantly. He is incredibly witty and can definitely challenge my sarcasm. He fits in with the rest of the boys! Madison is 11 and will be 12 a week after Blake will. She is a tremendous artist and is often found drawing anything from animals to word mosaics. She’s adjusting to me being excited about having girls around. Summer is 3 and is gracious enough to allow me to dress her up to my heart’s content! She has this amazing red curly hair and is a joy to have around. She holds her own with the boys, the boys treat her like the little girl that she is, and I look forward to watching her grow.

All of us have had a good time getting to know each other and adjust to the new “family” dynamic. We took all the kids camping in Flagstaff and had a great time. We have had our share or picnics in various parks and have debated and discussed the different options required to transport everyone from point A to point B at any given time. We have a family membership to the Science Center and to the gym and have gasped at the total cost of a meal at fast food restaurants. It’s a learning curve and we are all definitely learning.

All in all, I have few, if any, complaints. I am so grateful for my family and friends that not only stood by me in less than perfect times, but also stood by me and those times passed and good times have arrived.

I will post pictures...soon...I hope.

1 comment:

  1. My heart is just happy reading your blog. I am SO HAPPY for you. I hoped that someday someone would appreciate you like you so so deserved. I have always looked up to you and I appreciate your friendship so much. I know that it's been a long time, but please know that I am so touched reading the update on your new life and just sick happy about it. No one deserves it more than you and I am so thankful that you have found someone so truly wonderful and that you are living the life that you didn't even dream possible.

    Your boys are so handsome! I cannot believe how grown up they look!! How fun to get some girls in the mix- I am sure that you are having great fun with that! Miss you tons and hope to talk to you again soon.

    Also- would LOVE to know more about the wedding! (PICTURES)

    ReplyDelete